Monday, October 30, 2006

A Haunting we will go



Ok so since my numbering was frigged up, I continue the list with

30. Freaks - This movie gives me the chills on two levels, other than the stupid chicken woman in the beginning of the film all of the other freaks, really are. No special effects and the scene of them seeking revenge is awfully creepy, especially for a movie made in 1932!

29. The Wicker Man - The 1973 version, not the hunk of crap (or so I've heard, anyway from this year). This movie isn't a thrill a minute type but the payoff at the end is well worth the wait. It also has a great sexy dance by Britt Ekland in it. I have my darling doddy doo Cerpts to thank for turning me on to this one.

28. 'Salems Lot - This movie, while flawed shows that vampires are a lot like cockroaches. One moves into town and pretty soon we got dozens of them feeding on the townsfolk. One creepy scene is when the dead kid scratches on the window of his friends bedroom. All this and David Soul too, don't give up on us baby!

27. Scream - Wes Craven makes a movie without ghosts, monsters, icky swamp creatures, or monsters (at least not any non human ones) and he does it brilliantly. He rewrote some of the rules of horror while being not over the top campy with others. The opening scene with Drew Barrymore is classic and still scares me alone and in the dark and if the phone rings while I'm watching it I just might crap my pants.

26. Seven - Blood, guts, a severed head, a really fat dead guy, and a corpse that ain't quite dead. All this and a great cast (perhaps Brad Pitts best acting to date) makes for a good show, and it rains almost the entire movie.

25. The Fly - No, not the original this time, although the end scene in that one is a classic, I'm talking about the 1986 version. This one makes my stomach churn. Makes you think twice before you crush that ant under your foot. The maggot scene... um... you gotta see it for yourself.

24. Silence of the Lambs - Lecter versus Starling. Hopkins versus Foster. A human skin suit. All of that psychological suspense aside, you know you jumped when Hannibal snapped suddenly at the glass.

23. Jaws - Ba-dum Ba-dum Ba-dum. Great movie, scary music, and I still think twice before getting in the water. Even a swimming pool! That has to account for something doesn't it?


22. Poltergeist - "They're here." was the "I see dead people of the 80's. This is the definitive suburban horror classic. It takes what we are used to and familiar with and makes it unsafe. Imagine your own house is out to get you, where is your comfort zone now I ask you!

21. Invasion of the body snatchers- Why is my family acting so weird? What are all these weird plants popping up everywhere? These are the questions people should be asking themselves in this classic but don't until it's too late. Adapted from the brilliant horror novel The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney, the 1956 version of the film is the perfect example of Cold War paranoia. If you want one that doesn't have as an uplifting of an ending see the 70's remake, it's just as creepy with a better ending I feel.

20. Carrie - This poor girl seems to be getting it from both sides except she has an ace up her sleeve. She can move whatever she wants with her mind! Even if you have never seen the film you know the iconic picture of her drenched in blood. Sissys creepy mother is played by Piper Laurie, and both ladies were nominated for Oscars for their roles and deservedly so.

19. The Others - The Others became one of the most successful word-of-mouth blockbusters in recent memory. The reason for its success was simple.The Others is a bone-chilling movie. "Are you mad? I am your daughter." spoken in a little girls voice but coming from the mouth of a decrepit old woman made me jump out of my skin. The ending, well in case someone hasn't seen it yet I won't ruin it but it is a great Holy Shit! moment of film!

18. The Exorcist - Spinning heads! Vile expletives! Buckets of vomit! No, I'm not discussing your last blind date! This is perhaps the top of the list on many lists of the scariest movies of all time. When it was first released to theaters people ran out in droves. Today we call them pussies!

17. The Shining - Jack Nicholson running around an old deserter hotel with an ax is scary enough. Especially some of those faces he makes but aside from the "Here's Johnny!" part, my scary moment is when Shelly Duvall sees his new novel for the first time and sees just the line "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." over and over and over.....

16. The Thing - One of the creepiest movies ... EVER! That's all I'm going to say other than if the scene where the guyÂ’s head sprouting insect legs to escapedoesn'tnÂ’t give you nightmares consult a therapist immediately.

1 comment:

Cerpts said...

YAY a new installment!!!

And more 2 cents from me - which is good because I don't have any OTHER kind of sense.

30. Freaks - not really a fan. The "modern" critical line about the film not exploiting the "freaks" is nonsense. The first half of the film is littered with scenes which exist for no other reason that to stare at them. However, the second half of the film does actually get better and the stalking scene in the rain is justly celebrated as creepy. But Freaks, for me, remains only an OK movie and no classic.

29. The Wicker Man - you're welcome, doddy. Yes, this has been called the "Citizen Kane" of horror movies but you ain't seen NOTHING until you've seen the completely uncut British print (which OF COURSE is unavailable in this country). Any print of the film running less than approx. 108 minutes is cut. U.S. DVDs only present 80-something and 90-something minute prints in which scenes where shuffled around out of order or cut altogether. As good as The Wicker Man is in these cut versions (and it is) it's 10 times BETTER in the complete cut.

28. Salem's Lot - quite frankly this TV mini series is probably the best Stephen King "horror" adaptation ever made. The recent remake was godawful btw. I loved it when it was first broadcast in my kidhood and I still love it now in my olderkidhood. Of course, the DVD you usually see is the editted-down movie version - forget it. Seek out the complete mini-series version. I still am.

27. Scream - I thought this was very interesting but once I've seen it I don't find any reason to watch it again. I actually liked Scream 2 a little more.

26. Seven - oh yeah. Excellent.

25. The Fly - this is another one I've actually never seen. I'm not really a Cronenberg fan so I've never actively sought this one out. Maybe one day I'll see it.

24 - Silence of the Lambs - Anthony Hopkins deserved winning a best actor Oscar for this one. Sadly, all the other Oscars were undeserved as the film simply isn't that good. Hopkins performance is phenomenal but other than that I don't see what all the fuss is about. Don't even own this one on DVD or VHS (and for ME that's saying something!)

23. Jaws - The first summer blockbuster. I don't know what it is about this movie but it's eminently watchable and a lot of scary fun. Even when you've seen it many times before. I think it's down to the performances of the actors as well as a sharp script and effective shock editing.

22. Poltergeist - Yeah, well, you see, that's another movie I only feel is so-so. Here's another one I don't own on DVD.

21. Invasion of the Body Snatchers - The original is one of the best movies of the 50's and is chilling no matter how many times you see it. Shockingly, the 70's remake was almost as good too.

20. Carrie - Yeah, this movie's pretty good I suppose. Piper Laurie is a classic and Sissy Spaceship is excellent as well. So why don't I like this movie more. It's hard to say. It's probably due to the directing of Brian "Hack" DePalma. Here's yet another one I don't own on DVD and am not likely to pick up anytime soon.

19. The Others - Dude, sorry again but I'm just not with you on this one. It was OK, I guess, but didn't do it for me.

18. The Exorcist - Over-rated as it surely is, this is actually a pretty good movie. It has a certain air about it which creeps you out. I prefer Rosemary's Baby but this one's pretty good. Also, I thought Exorcist III was a very interesting (yet flawed) film worth seeing.

17. The Shining - Another movie which I quite like but I think is over-rated. Definitely no classic but good. I'm also not a Kubrick fan but this is one of his best, I think. It's certainly not Stephen King's book; it's a Kubrick film start to finish. A lot of good moments in this one. In fact, in recent years, I've revised my opinion of this film; I now like it a lot more than I used to. And YES, I even own the DVD of this one! Hooray!!!

16. The Thing - Classic 50's horror. Howard Hawks was a genius. Oh. You mean the John Carpenter one, don't you. Well, I like the 50's one better but Carpenter's remake is actually true to the original story "Who Goes There" as well as being a very fine horror movie in it's own right. Yup, I own this one (as well as the original) on DVD and I quite like it.

Ooo, what's next what's next...