Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A short rant


This is not related to the holidays, Lost, movies, books, or any other such thing usually appearing on my blog. It's about credit and debit cards. Actually it's about a commercial that is circulating on the TV that I'm pissed and insulted by. There are several versions of the commercial. The first one I saw was a man getting his lunch at one of those cafeteria type restaurants. Might even be the cafe at work, who knows, it doesn't matter. Everybody in line in front of him swipe either their credit or debit cards to pay for their meal. There is music playing and everything is shown as going quick and smoothly like an assembly line until this guy gets there and pulls out cash and the music stops, people stop cooking, everyone stops smiling and moving, and everyone just stares at the guy. Like he has committed a crime or something. It's money! Oh, so sorry it's not a stupid piece of plastic that makes me think I have more money than I do. There's a few different versions of the commercial. One causes a funeral procession in New Orleans to stop. Another version shows I-Pods actually stop working if you try to pay with cash. A hundred years ago nobody heard of credit cards, fifty years ago only the wealthy had them. My grandparents paid in cash or nothing. Not having the cash meant they couldn't afford it. But not you, Mr. Businessman. People like you have no need for cash as long as you have you plastic fantastic fun card. All kinds of people use them whether they actually have the means to pay the bill or not. And why wouldn't they? We don't really need to carry all that cash around with us do we? Let's just use our flexible platinum friend. Yes! Please do feed my ego. Give me more plastic and more credit and more finance charge, we love them. I hate them, (I, however, do use them for major purchases and at the holidays, but only if I have to) I hate the companies and I now hate their commercials. Bank of America just had to borrow money from a third world nation to pay off their debt. Who knew? Now the credit card companies have credit cards? Who the hell gets to hold onto that puppy? How friggin' dare they make me feel embarrassed because I have they money on me for the purchase I want to make. Also, just a little information for all those people that need to put a cup of coffee and a pack of Bubbalicious on a credit card, in case you didn't notice, that's me behind you. I'm the one waiting, cash in hand, for you to swipe your card. "Does the black stripe face me or away from me? This way? Oh, upside down?" Beep! "No try it again." Beep! "Nope, not this time either." Wipe it on your pants. Beep! How about that time? Holy shit! You don't have two dollars and fifty-five cents on you? Just how over extended are you? Yes, after you swipe your card a few dozen times, wait for the cashier, push approve or accept, or whateverthefuck, and sign your stupid name, you are finally on your way. I got a cup of coffee and I pay for it and I'm on my way. I'm the pissed off guy walking past you in the parking lot (I'll pass you in the goddamn vestibule if I have exact change and ain't gotta wait for the clerk to count out my change!) Now they have those credit/debit card combo deals. Oh goody, another decision to make. Guess if I had a gun in my glove compartment, I'd have a choice to make to. And believe me, it's not a choice of if I fire a warning shot first or not. Get some cash in you pockets and pay for your shit and get out of my way you pompous shit wad. How dare you. How dare you!

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

I so adore you!

You are the man! You are the bomb-diggums! I grovel at your feet; you are so friggin' right! I take back everything I said about you eating Ragu. And race car shorts??? WHAT race car shorts?!?!?! You rock you rule taste great AND are less filling!

And by the way, did it ever occur to these mental defectives that it is INCREDIBLY STUPID to pay for a meal with a credit card -- or bubbleicious or cigarettes or anything like that since you're PROBABLY paying some ridiculously exhorbitant interest rate AS WELL as the fact that you'll STILL be paying for a ham sandwich you had this afternoon 25 years from now.

Yeah, who's the stoopid one?!? The one using the credit card.

You're also exactly right about waiting for the schmuck in front of you to use the card correctly. Cash is fast. Here's the money. There's your change. Bye.

They also don't mention how they USED to need a reason to up your percentage -- i.e. a missed payment -- but now they are allowed to double your rate for no reason at all. Those commercials also fail to mention that the mere act of applying for another credit card will cause them to up your present card's rate.

At what point would ANYONE think a credit card is a good thing to have anymore? I, like you, only use one when absolutely necessary -- and I'm paying them off. From now on, I only use credit cards when absolutely necessary -- then promptly pay it down.

Credit card companies. . .










YOU SUCK!!!!

Fink Master Flash said...

the only downside to cash is having Cafeteria Joe break change. that is more painful than a big corn-ridden fiber bowel movement. this is the only case that i would love to use my debit card but they dont accept them!!!