Monday, December 03, 2007

Greatest Hits

One last list before we move on to another subject. Here are some movies I figured I should see. After seeing them I asked myself "Why?". As in why are these movies called "Classics" or why were they spoken of so highly. Maybe it's me, but in the list of movies below, I just don't get it.

Citizen Kane-Supposedly the best movie ever made. Did I miss something?

The Matrix-One of the best Sci-fi films ever. Keanu Revees people, c'mon!

Taxi Driver-Recently saw this one, didn't see what was so great. The "You talking to me?" scene seemed anticlimactic to me now since I've seen it parodied so many times.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-The movie was even more confusing than the title. It involves erasing memories. I want to erase this movie from mine.

Sin City-Loved the comic and even though it is very true to the original printed material, I hated the movie. Didn't think it could be bad, but to me it was.

2001: A Space Odyssey-Another one of those best movies of all time. Boooooooooooooring!

The Deer Hunter-Another of those movies I had heard so much about all my life and had never seen; until recently. The Russian roulette scenes were tense and the bittersweet ending was ok but not what I expected from a movie put on such a lofty perch.

Kill Bill Vol.2-I loved the first volume of this movie, I couldn't wait until part two came out. I was at Blockbuster the day it was released (I never do that by the way) and raced home to watch it. I was angry afterwards and felt cheated.

Gone with the Wind-I was forced to watch this and my god, how can this movie be such a classic? It's boring, drawn out, and depressing.

West Side Story-I hate this movie, I hate everything about this movie. Romeo and Juliet go to Puerto Rico. Natalie Wood is hot but other than that, blech!

From Here To Eternity-You've seen the beach scene. It won 8 Oscars. It didn't win anything from me. It took me three tries to get through it.

This Is Spinal Tap-Always heard what a classic mockumentary this was and every time I told someone I had never seen the film they were surprised. Saw it a few months ago. Now they can all be surprised that didn't like it.

Jurassic Park-I will admit I didn't hate this movie, however, I had such bigger expectations after hearing so much hype about it. Jeff Goldblum's very good acting job aside. I actually wish this movie was better so I could say I liked it, but it was merely OK to me.

The Sound of Music-I would rather sit through West Side Story twice than see this movie. As far as this movie is concerned, if hate were people, I'd be China.

Blue Velvet-Take Dennis Hopper out of this film and it's awful. Fortunately, Dennis Hopper is in it and he's creepy which adds up to a movie that took me two times to sit all the way through and is almost awful.

Born on the 4Th of July-Nominated for several Academy and Golden Globe awards. Won some of them too. I'm not bashing Vietnam vets, only movies about them. I started watching this movie in April, I finished watching it on July 3. Just in time for the BBQ and the fireworks. Oliver Stone is a better screenwriter than he is director. The total count of movies he directed that I like: 1 and this one ain't it!

Dumbo-Yes, the Disney movie. Saw it when I was 7. I hated it and asked to leave. What 7 year old asks to leave a Disney movie? This one did because the movie is overly cruel and sad. Hey, I was an overweight orphan. I got issues okay. Especially issues with this movie. And when I go to Disney in January I will walk a wide berth around the Dumbo ride.

10-Bo Derek is (was hot), Dudley more is (was) funny. Just not in this movie. The running on the beach scene was okay the first few seconds I saw it and the lovemaking scene to the song Bolero is one of the only funny parts of the movie. This may be one of the only ones I tossed around about not putting on the list but it made it on in the end.

Titanic-This 4 hour bore fest makes me want to raise the Titanic just so I can put James Cameron and Leonardo DiCaprio on it and sink it again. Not Kate Winslett, she's almost hot. Kathy Bates is cool and Bill Paxton is, well he's Bill Paxton. They make it through the resinking. Even if they were in this horrible movie.

Chariots of Fire-Three words - What The Fuck???





1 comment:

Cerpts said...

It may surprise YOU to know that I really rather agree with you on most of what you said. And the only problems I had were at the beginning of your list so we'll get them outta the way fast.

Citizen Kane - Yeah, you missed something. The BEST movie ever made? I wouldn't say that. But a stone cold classic nonetheless.

The Matrix - One of the best sci-fi movies ever? Well, I wouldn't say that either. However, it was a pretty good one, I thought. And this was indeed the one movie role that Keanu was equipped to act.

Taxi Driver - I hadn't seen this one until a couple years ago when (naturally) someone I worked with was shocked that I hadn't. So shocked, in fact, that he BOUGHT me a copy. And I now own it. And I watched it. And I didn't like it. And, as pointed out in my blog a while ago, the whole "You talkin to me" mirror scene was obviously lifted by DeNiro from an old Twilight Zone episode "The Man in the 5 dollar room" or some such. Totally overrated film and, oddly enough, a LOT of critics don't like it either. So we ain't alone.

Eternal Sunshine - Never saw it.

Sin City - I quite liked this one. And from all accounts it was almost a perfect adaptation of the graphic novel (which I never read) so I duzzent know what you're on about with this one. However, I didn't LOVE it so I won't be putting up much of an argument or try defending it -- it was OK.

2001 - You surely know my opinion about this one. One of the biggest steaming turds ever foisted on the movie going public. Bloated, overblown, self-important, interminably dull ... shall I go on?

The Deer Hunter - Never saw it. However, I do share your opinion about Vietnam movies. I don't like them as a rule. Didn't like Platoon. Didn't like Apocalypse Now.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 - I don't get you on this one either since, as far as I can see, it was exactly the same as the first one. In fact, it's only one movie that, because of its length, was cut into two. I own both and honestly can't see any difference in quality between the two. Maybe you were just constipated or something.

Gone With the Wind - my mother saw this in the movie theater and walked out. I'm of much the same opinion.

West Side Story - Hey, I don't like THIS one either!!!

From Here To Eternity - Didn't see this one either but I bet that wave pushed sand up their cracks.

This is Spinal Tap - Like you I had never seen it. Also like you people were shocked. At least you can feel happy that you didn't BUY the damn DVD, watch it and not like it. Like I did. So, wanna buy a DVD?

Jurassic Park - Didn't see it. I hate hate HATE dinosaurs. They're boring. I won't ever bother seeing this.

The Sound of Music - Barf. Blecch. I'm making a nasty face right now and it's all because of this movie.

Blue Velvet - Never saw it but I heard it was crap.

Born on the 4th of July. Didn't see it. Refer to The Deer Hunter entry above.

Dumbo - Didn't see this either. Nope, and I still haven't seen Bambi either.

10 - Never saw it. Never particularly felt bad about not seeing it either.

Titanic - I didn't hate this movie like you did. However, I didn't really like it -- UNTIL of course we get to see the popsicle people bobbing in the water. I love love LOVE the blue popsicle people. They need action figures so I can play with them in the tub!

Chariots of Fire - I almost ALWAYS watch a movie all the way through. No matter how bad it is, I'll stick with it to the end. I turned this off after 15 minutes. How this won best picture is beyond me (especially since On Golden Pond won ALL the other major Oscars -- something don't compute).