Monday, June 23, 2008

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.



Goodbye funnyman. Rest in Peace knowing you fought the good fight. He made me laugh and even more he made me think. He was the first stand up comedian whose material I absolutely fell in love. When I was growing up there were three names in stand up comedy Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, and George Carlin that were my "must listens". Now, two of them are gone. Like my friend Cerpts, who has an excellent tribute to George on his blog here http://landofcerptsandhoney.blogspot.com/
I stood in line with him to see George several years ago and to get his autograph. We won't discuss where that book is now, some of you know and that's good enough. The day was hot and the line was long but he didn't rush us through and he made sure to speak to everyone coming through the line. Yes, my friend Cerpts even made him laugh. Not many people can say that. He was more than just seven words and he'd probably tell me to go f myself with this tribute but hey, he's got a year and then I'm taking his ass out of my Rolodex! Hopefully he's somewhere smoking a joint with Richard, Sam, and Lenny right now. Or an even funnier picture - teaching Jesus the artificial fart under the arm trick. Now that would be funny!

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

Really, really nice tribute. Well said. I think you really captured the niceness and sense of fun he had. When he would deal with "heavy" subjects, he would treat them in such a way that his humour made you laugh like hell and think about what he said AT THE SAME TIME. Never preachy. And strangely, even though he yelled A LOT during his stand-up routines, he never NEVER came across as nasty but always light and funny. He pointed out the ridiculousness of everyday life and people in general i.e. "there's thinking about banning the toy guns AND KEEPING THE F--KING REAL ONES!!!" The mere idea of such a thing happening is completely insane and dopey -- and yet that's what we did! And George Carlin, bless him, never ceased pointing it all out to us until his very own heart ceased beating. What a terrible loss!

RussnFuss said...

yes he will be missed