Saturday, October 03, 2009

Home Field Advantage

As of this writing, the Phillies, by way of a St. Louis Cardinal loss, have secured at least home field advantage in the first round of the playoffs which means I have tickets to the game that will be played on this Thursday. Now if I only knew what time the game was going to start I would be all set. So let's meet two more Phillies while we wait.


Raúl Ibáñez was a new edition to the team for the 2009 season. #29 plays left field (which also happens to be where my season tickets are or were) and took over for Pat Burrel who exited the team. I was a huge Pat Burrel fan when he was here. I loved his bulldog Elvis as well. The Phillies allowed Pat to go elsewhere to free agency and I was not so sure about the new left fielder when he arrived in Philly. I can happily say I was very wrong! Rauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul (as he is called by all of us at the ballpark) did a great job in the field but did an even better job at the plate. So much so that the 37-year-old was elected to his first career all star game.



This here fella is Jayson Werth. He plays right field and #28 comes from a long line of baseball players so it was a given that he would follow in their footsteps and play as well. When you have a grandfather named "Ducky" you better do what he wants you to do! Jayson was also a 2009 all star with the Phillies. At one time during the all star game the Phillies comprised the entire outfield for the National League with Jayson being joined by teammates Shane Victorino and Raul Ibanez for one inning. By the way, this picture of Jayson was taken during the World Series Celebration at Citizens Bank Park after the parade. This was taken right after Chase Utley said his five word statement I mentioned yesterday. As you can tell Jayson happily agreed with Utley's sentiments. And yes, that is a 7-11 red Hulk Slurpie holding hand he is wearing.



J-Dub or "The Werewolf" as he is called by his teammates is described as "Dirty Sexy" by many female fans. My darling lady love being one of them and yes, she wears a Jayson Werth jersey to every game we go to. Jayson holds the Phillies record for most runs batted in in the same game with 8. In 2008 he led the league in home runs hit off of left handed pitchers. He was also the last Phillie player to steal four bases in a game. While doing so, he managed to steal second, third, and home all in the same inning.


5 comments:

Cerpts said...

Oh my gaaawwwwwwwwwwwd!!!!

This is even LESS interesting than when you weren't posting anything for a month or two! Don't tell me THIS is what I'll have to look forward to on this blog in a year's time . . . because I'll have to institute my third blog in order to match it; it'll be entitled WATCHING FARMING.

You know, cuz watching paint dry would be too exciting. . .




. . .and stuff.

Cheeks DaBelly said...

actually i do believe that after LOST ends and the final discussions have taken place and everything has had ample time to sink in I feel that this blog will have run it's course so therefore I will probably opt to discontinue this blog but that doesn't mean I won't have another blog to bring to you...of course it doesn't mean I will either... I guess the best I can say is Stay Tuned!

Cerpts said...

John Ritter movie. I saw that.

Cerpts said...

Hey wait a moment. I just took a look at this J-Dub character's photo right about where I click to leave a comment and I wanna know why his face looks like a vagina with a Brazilian?????

Cheeks DaBelly said...

Cause that's the way he rolls!